Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

June 22, 2010

The Funky Chicken

So, I was at my sister, Lisa's house the other day, after the Portuguese & Spanish wine event that we went to and guess who I found pecking around my car?  Yep, Rosa, the Funky Chicken.  Or, at least that's what I call her. 

Rosa is one of Lisa's three resident chickens along with one big, mean rooster.  The three chickens are totally friendly.  Stripey, the rooster has become VERY aggressive.  Not sure if Stripey will stay around for much longer.


As you can see, Rosa was totally at home in my car.


Very curious, just checking things out.


Lisa has quite the 'petting zoo' going on at her home.  Remember the baby bunnies from a few months ago?  Well, they're quite a bit bigger now and SO tame!  Along with her animals,  her brother-in-law's organic sheep and lamb, llamas, and his hundreds of free range, organic chickens are on the property as well.



I wanted to bring Rosa home with me, such a sweetheart. 

Currently, Lisa is incubating 12  11 eggs (one broke in the car on the way home)  so in a few months I will be able to take a few chicks home with me!  Fresh eggs!  We'll just have to raccoon proof a chicken pen for them. I'll keep you posted :) 
Happy Tuesday!
Pin It

7 comments:

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I love reading about the animals! I'd give anything to live on a farm :)

Pat Tillett said...

What a cute chick...
er um, I mean chicken!

Unknown said...

I would love fresh eggs, I'm not sure about Rosa in my car though...

Dana Gustafson said...

You and Ms Funky Chicken look so cute together!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Not many of us photograph chickens is our cars:-). This is my first visit here but I can already tell I'm going to love to visit. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of when we kept chooks. They do become so tame and each have their own personalities. My husband would stand at the back door and call to them - they would all come running to him to be stroked and fed! My favourite was Mabel - she was always getting into the stable yard next door - the girls there would laugh as they walked past the manure heap and see clods of the stuff flying through the air as Mabel dug in for worms; happy days!

Tamara Dawn said...

LOL I love how Rosa looks like she wants to go for a drive! I can picture her hanging her head out the window like dogs do, haha