Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 2, 2011

The Difference Between Sea Salt & Kosher Salt

Have you ever wondered about the difference between kosher salt and sea salt?

No?

Well, I'm here to put in my two cents:)

I use both in my house; kosher salt for cooking with and sea salt for baking with.  Plain table salt, I haven't picked up in a long while, it just tastes flat to me compared to kosher and sea salt.

Kosher salt is courser than sea salt.  I find it really brings out the flavors in food, especially when I roast vegetables.  Plus the coarseness of it makes it super easy for pinching, I have a little ceramic bowl of it on the counter top ready to go at all times.














Side by side, the sea salt is a little finer than the kosher salt........



The main differences between kosher and sea salt are:
  • kosher salt comes with no additives and sea salt has additives for nutrition.
  • kosher salt is unrefined and sea salt is refined.
  • kosher salt can be called pure sodium chloride and sea salt can't because of its additives.
  • kosher salt has a larger surface area and larger crystals compared to sea salt.
  • kosher salt has a flat shape and sea salt has sharper edges.
  • because of kosher salt's large crystals, which help to draw out moisture from meat and other foods more so than other salts, it's useful in preserving.
  • BONUS: kosher salt is great for rimming your margarita glass!
Cheers!

What type of salt do you cook/bake/BBQ/brine with?

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you!. Have a fantastic day!


Pin It
Post a Comment