Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 5, 2011

A little TOO close to Nature, Nature Walk

The temps around our parts have been reaching the high 90's......indoor weather for us.  But on a recent, uncharacteristic act of early morning motivation on my part, I fed the kids breakfast, sunscreened them up and we headed out the front door for a nature walk before it got too hot.














Stafford Lake is just across the street from the ranch with a trail running from it all the way into town, about four miles.

We didn't walk four miles {eight round trip}, I am not that motivated.  But we did walk about two miles round trip, without too many complaints from the kiddos.













We made it an adventure to see what type of creatures we could encounter on our walk. 
Lizards a plenty.













One thing I had not even anticipated was that my little guy would also find his first experience with poison oak....although we didn't find out until a day or so later.  It's on his face, arms and hands. 
And just now, as I'm typing this and looking at this last photo of Bryce light sabering imaginary 'bad guys' that happen to look like Canadian Geese,  do I realize that he was also slicing through some vegetation at the park after our walk. 

Now, if you'll excuse me while I locate that light saber and wash it clean of poison oak oil.....and do some laundry with a black t-shirt being the first one to be thrown into the washer.

Wordless Wednesday Link Up:

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you!. Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

12 comments:

Robyn said...

Hope your little guy gets over the poison oak. That does not sound fun.

I really like the barbwire picture!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, sorry about the poison oak! i've had plenty of run-ins with poison ivy so can certainly sympathize!

DeanO said...

Ouch...poison oak, have it on my ankle right now. I hope your little feller gets cleared up quick.

This Farm Family's Life said...

Oh no! I hope the poison oak isn't too bad. Poor thing!

An Authentic Life said...

Poor itchy little buddy!!!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

My husband gets poison oak really badly. We bought this special soap at Walmart (in the camping section) and it really does work if you use it after you've been out hiking.

trump said...

I hate to scratch in places that i can not get to like my back, but that's what the corner of a wall is for maybe,lol. Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon,pa

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

Love the barbed wire picture...and I know as soon as I type this I will jinx myself BUT I've never had poison ivy or oak. I am allergic to everything under the sun so I used to roll in it hoping I get it and miss school. haha. Nope never worked.

Misty DawnS said...

Poor kiddo!!! My heart goes out to him. I highly react to it, and when I get it, my eyes swell shut and everything. It's miserable!

Reena said...

Oh the misery of poison oak.. hope he recovers soon!

Pat Tillett said...

Poor kid! It's been a long time, but I've shared that same torture on more than one occasion!

Valentina@baby boy bedding said...

Poison oak is no fun at all; hope your little explorer recovers fast!