Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 8, 2010

Chicken Teriyaki Skewers....Can I do it?

Yesterday afternoon, Dominic had a meeting out in Pt. Reyes Station and would be home at around 6 or so.  The kids are always hungry by 5 and I can sometimes hold them off until 5:30 so I am always searching for something that I can make that is easily reheated or that I can easily make in two batches. 

Chicken Teriyaki Skewers was it yesterday.

One problem......I'm not the greatest 'Griller' (is that even a word?) The BBQ is normally Dominic's domain.

Oh, and can you believe I've never tried grilling skewers!  But I was in the mood for something light, fresh and easy.  Plus I just bought 20 lbs of chicken and wanted to use some of it.

I used skinless chicken breast and boneless, skinless thighs.  Red onion, pineapple, zucchini, summer squash and red bell pepper for the veggies.  I cut everything into chunks and skewered them.


I marinated the skewers in a Pyrex for a few hours with my favorite, Soy Vay Teriyaki.






Oh, and before skewering, I soaked the wooden skewers in water for a while so they wouldn't burn (hopefully). 

I sprayed the grill with non-stick cooking spray and laid all the skewers out on the gas BBQ set on medium low heat.  Turning after 6 minutes or so.


They took about 20 minutes or so to finish grilling.

While tending the grill I enjoyed a refreshing beverage.
Have you ever tried these 55 calorie beers?  I like 'em!


Garnished with these, oh so cute Key Limes.

I think the skewers would be great to make for a party.  You can even do a vegetarian version.  Prepare everything ahead of time and just grill when you're ready.

I like 'easy' when having a party.

 Just about done.




.
I was thrilled that they didn't burn and everything cooked evenly!  Maybe I can do this grilling thing.

I also made some brown rice to go along with them.  I mix in a bit of the Soy Vay with the rice and heat it through......SO good!

Dominic made it home at a really great time, dinner didn't have a chance to become cold.  Always a bonus.

I ate half of the leftovers today for lunch which were just as good as last night :)
Happy Thursday!

Pin It

4 comments:

Dana Gustafson said...

Yum! Looks great! And Soy Vay is my new favorite marinade! It's great on everything.

Sarah Prokop said...

Ok This is weird, but yesterday this is exactly what I made for dinner, and I even had the EXACT same beer as you!, Ok the only difference is I put all the chicken on sticks, and all the veggies on sticks seperatly cause I never seem to cook the chicken enough before the veggies burn off

Unknown said...

Okay that marinade is gooooooooooooooooood, I'm with you :) And you know Ive not used sticks at all this year - totally need too

And thanks for that reminder!

Tracy

Jill said...

Oh Wow! Those look scrumptious!

It's Nice to meet you :) I also live in Northern CA.

I'm now a Happy Follower via MBC :)

~ Jill
http://frugalplus.com/