Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 10, 2012

TT w/Linky: OktoberFest Kona Stout Ice Cream

I recently reviewed the cookbook, Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams At Home by Jeni Britton Bauer for my local newspaper and in doing so, I picked three fall inspired recipes for ice cream.  

My first and favorite is the Kona Stout Ice Cream.  The recipe calls for using any dark beer and stout adds a lot of flavor without adding very much water to the ice cream.  So why not use a chocolate stout?!  I did, in hopes the flavor would taste similar to a mocha.  I wasn't disappointed.  My stout of choice these days is this Bison Chocolate Stout.....in OR out of ice cream.







I've been using my KitchenAid attachment bowl to make ice cream.  You store the bowl in the freezer so that it's out of your way and ready for the next batch of ice cream.  Just perfect.



Add all the ingredients......full recipe below.



Kick start the KitchenAid mixer and let it go for 20-30 minutes until it looks a lot like this.....


















Store it in a freezer container and let it harden for four hours before serving.  I confess....I had some before I let it harden....I can never resist.  It was a nice, creamy soft serve ice cream with hints of chocolate and stout but with a predominate coffee flavor.




This is by far, my favorite new flavor.  Perfect for an OktoberFest party, or maybe a Monday night football party.

Kona Stout Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 oz {3 T} cream cheese, softened
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
2 T light corn syrup
2 T dark roast Kona coffee beans, coarsely ground
1/2 cup Barley's Russian Imperial Stout or any other very dark stout

Prep:
Mix about 2 T of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry.  Whisk the cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
Fill a large bowl with ice and water.

Cook:
Combine the remaining milk, the cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat and boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from the heat, add the coffee, and let steep for 5 minutes.
Strain the milk mixture through a sieve lined with a layer of cheesecloth.  Squeeze the coffee in the cheesecloth to extract as much liquid as possible, then discard the grounds.
Return the cream mixture to the saucepan and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry.  Bring back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Remove from heat.

Chill:
Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the stout and blend well.
Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc freezer bag and submerge the sealed bag in the ice bath.  Let stand, adding more ice as necessary, until cold, about 30 minutes.

Freeze:
Pour the ice cream base into the frozen ice cream canister and spin until thick and creamy.
Pack the ice cream into a storage container, press a sheet of parchment paper directly against the surface, and seal with an airtight lid.  Freeze in the coldest part of your freezer until firm, at least 4 hours.




Link up with anything you’re thankful for! And if you’re not a blogger, just let us know in the comment section what you happen to be thankful for on this day.
 
Pin It

3 comments:

A Kansas Farm Mom said...

I never would have thought of using beer in ice cream. I will certainly have to try this some time. Have a great day! Thanks for hosting this party as well!

ann said...

I have a question. Where did you get the ice cream attachment. Sure looks like it would be a great thing to have

k. said...

Our local ice cream shop has alcoholic flavors and my favorites are bourbon and Guinness. I like any kind of beer flavored ice cream, even though I'm not normally a beer drinker. One of these days I'm going to have to make my own.