Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 29, 2012

Coffee Frosting topped Best Brownie

My boy, Bryce, who just turned 8 this past Saturday is not a fan of cake, or cookies....he would rather have nothing than choose to eat a piece of cake or a cookie, so birthday parties can become a challenge when thinking up an appropriate dessert to  make the Birthday Boy happy.

Bryce LOVES brownies.  I haven't used a box brownie mix in a few years now and it's all because of this recipe for Easy Best Brownies, made from scratch, they are not only super easy to make, but are so much more delicious than the boxed mix variety.  Topping them with a dab of Coffee Frosting, also super easy to make from scratch, was the ticket for Bryce's 8th birthday party.



















Coffee frosting brings back some wonderful childhood memories for me.  I think my Mom used coffee frosting on just about every baked good she made.  I loved it then and I certainly love it now.  While whipping it up this past weekend, I shared with the kids how I used to help my Mom make coffee frosting and how the creamy coffee taste was, and is one of my favorites.  After trying a finger full themselves, they could see why.

All that's needed is:  powdered sugar, instant coffee {I use decaf}, warm milk or water, and melted butter.

















Mix the powdered sugar with the instant coffee, add the warmed milk or water and melted butter.

















Stir, let cool just a bit and it's ready to go.  Simple.
















A tray of brownies.....perfect for an 8 year old's birthday, to mark the end of my now, big boy's, Fall Ball season {I'm tearing up here}, to cheer on our San Francisco Giants winning the World Series, and even for breakfast the next morning after Boot Camp class.


My kiddos are now fans of coffee frosting....especially when it tops a rich, buttery brownie.

Coffee Frosting

Ingredients:
1 tsp instant coffee {I use decaf}
3 - 4 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup of warmed milk or water
2 T melted butter

Directions:
Stir all ingredients together.  If the mix is too runny, add more powdered sugar.  If you desire a stronger coffee taste, add more instant coffee.  It's that easy!

Pin It

3 comments:

Thomas Schulte said...

Good for Bryce, in not getting into the sugar addiction!

Bet he's a meat and potatoes man.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Yes Thomas, meat, potatoes raw veggies and Skittles :)

Sarah said...

They look so pretty with the candy corn on top!