Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 18, 2012

Crock Pot Harvest Chipotle Chili

I've found a new taste addiction that happens to be really fun to cook with as well.....Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce.  Chipotle adds just the right amount of heat and a whole lot of flavor.

Just yesterday, I added Chipotle to this super easy Harvest Chipotle Chili.  Even though the outside temperature reached 90 degrees....chili is good any time of the year in my house.....plus I'm pre-thinking chili recipes for Super Bowl Sunday.




















Many of my favorite flavors are included in this flavorful chili; yams, sweet onion, sweet orange peppers,

















Granny Smith Apples.

















Pinto beans, cannellini beans and hominy.



and even some Pale Ale....Sierra Nevada in this case.



















The two Chipotle chilies, the orange sweet peppers and two garlic cloves are chopped together in a food processor.....or a Magic Bullet {I thought mine died last week but I was happy to res-erect it just yesterday}.  The paste is then added to the already browned ground beef, turkey, pork or chicken and heated for another 5 minutes to blend.

















Then throw everything together in a Crock Pot and cook on low for three hours.




Serve in on a plate or a bowl works best with a side of freshly baked honey corn bread, crack open another  Pale Ale and sit and watch the game.













Harvest Chipotle Chili

Ingredients:
3 medium orange sweet peppers, halved and seeded
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, pork, turkey OR chicken
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 pound sweet potato, yam, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 15 oz can Cannellini beans {white kidney beans}
1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed
1 14 1/2 oz can hominy, rinsed
1 14 1/2 oz stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 12 oz bottle of your favorite beer, I used pale ale
1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tsp kosher salt

Directions:
In a food processor or Magic Bullet, cover and process sweet peppers, chipotle peppers and garlic...pulse until finely chopped and set aside.

In a skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, breaking the meat up as it cooks.  Drain fat.  Add the pepper garlic mixture and cook and stir for 5 minutes.

Add all the ingredients to a crock pot, stir and set on low for 3 hours.
Pin It

3 comments:

Suz and Allan said...

I've never heard of a dish like this but it sounds like a good one for fall.

Okla Lady said...

I'm going to add this to my recipe file. Looks good.

Anonymous said...

I love chili any time, when I was pregnant years ago I craved chili. My hubby would take me to a nice place to eat and I usually ask if they had chili, he said we can stay home and have chile and I still love it.