Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 16, 2012

Weapons of Mass Destruction ~ Heifers

It was a late night coming home from dinner and all I wanted to do is get the kids into bed, put jammies on and crawl into bed myself.  After working outside for much of the day on the yard, I was so looking forward to a good night's sleep.

But just to get every one's engines all reved up before bed, as we drive into the yard, we're greeted by 20 pair of bright, glowing heifer eyes peering at us from our front yard.

It only takes one heifer to break through a gate before all the others will follow.  And boy, can they ever do some damage in a short period of time.

As I surveyed the damage the next morning, this is what I discovered.....

They used my bear as a rubbing post before it toppled over...



















My Hibiscus plant that I had worked SO hard at nursing back to health is now de-leafed, broken and straggly looking....

















 Rose bushes, nipped, not only at the bud but at the base of the stem.

















Japanese Maple tree, pruned where it shouldn't be....

















And MANY treasures left throughout the yard.



The raised vegetable garden beds that we use to keep the gophers out, were perfect height for one lucky heifer who snatched up my cucumber plant in its entirety.

As cute as they can be, heifers are definitely weapons of mass destruction when it comes to landscape...

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They really can do some damage. The last year before my ox's companion cow died, they had a blast busting into the yard and playing rodeo in the neighbor's bean field. Hope at least some things can recover.

Jen said...

oh my! Critters around these parts are rabbits, skunks, and racoons.

jen