Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 17, 2012

A Lil' Bit of Chicken Fried ~ Steak

I think I have FINALLY got it right with this Chicken Fried Steak attempt {number 4}.  As many of you know, we raise our own beef here on the ranch and after the first 'harvest' of our first animal, years ago we had a freezer full of home grown beef cuts.....a few of them I was not too familiar with.





















One of them being, Cube Steak.  What the heck do with I do with Cube Steak?!  I'm not Southern, nor do I cook like I'm Southern so Chicken Fried Steak is something that I had heard of but never tried.....to eat or cook.

Before testing out my Southern cooking skills, I wanted to find out exactly what part of the steer this Cube Steak was coming from.

Cube steak is a cut of beef, usually top round or top sirloin, tenderized by fierce pounding with a meat tenderizer, or use of an electric tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left by that process called 'cubing'.


 My first attempts at it, I seasoned the flour and not the beef itself, which caused over-seasoning or under-seasoning for me....I just couldn't get it right!  This last time I seasoned the meat itself with salt and pepper...total jackpot for me.  Then I floured it.

















Placed them in a skillet with heated olive oil and cooked a few minutes on each side.


















Done and Delicious!  Raves from all around the dinner table this time.  Phew!
















I didn't go the entire Southern route....I served my Chicken Fried Steak with veggies and salad rather than mashed potatoes and gravy.    Low Carb and high on taste with room for a cold beer! 





Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Chicken Fried Steak is one of my favorites but I haven't perfected cooking it yet so thanks for the tips :)

SDFarmWife said...

Make this all the time for the guys on our farm. It is a definite favorite! The seasonings I use are Lawry's, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, and Black Pepper...all added to the flour. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!
Another favorite..I season in Worcestershire, Salt, Pepper, and Lawry's and then I pan fry it. Put it on a nice bun and add some steak sauce...GREAT sandwich for the field!

Bo Knows said...

Sorry, but this is COUNTRY Fried Steak Not Chicken Fried Steak.
Chicken Fried Steak needs to be dredged in seasoned flour, dipped in buttermilk egg wash, dredged in flour again then cooked in Crisco or other clear vegetable oil. After its fried, pour off the oil, scrape loose whats in the pan and make WHITE gravy.
Calling this Chicken Fried Steak will cause all your children to be born necked.