Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 26, 2012

A Day in the Life of Girl Scout Day Camp

Growing up, I wasn't a Girl Scout, Daisy or a Brownie.  I really think I missed out, after spending the last few days at Girl Scout Day Camp I now see what it's ALL about!

Paige will be joining a troop this fall with her 'in town' girlfriends and to participate in the Girl Scout Day Camp for a week this summer, I was required to volunteer my time for three days since Paige is not yet a Girl Scout.  I'm so glad I did!  These girls know how to have fun!

Every morning begins with Flag Ceremony, where the color guard, a different day camp unit, comes out to fly the flag and lead the Pledge of Allegiance  for the group of almost 300.



There are 16 Units with approximately 11-13 girls in each with 2-3 unit leaders and six teenage aids....lots of supervision.  Each unit has an individual unit namem Paige's, one of two 1st grade units, are named the 'Princesses'......how fitting.
Throughout each full day, every Unit goes from activity to activity that include, crafts, Karate, archery, cooking, trivia, ice cream making and various others.  There is also some down time where the units can work on their lanyards or play games and such.



















If you have a girl enrolled in Girl Scout Day Camp, you can add a male sibling as a 'Tag'.  When I first told Bryce I had enrolled him in Girl Scout Day Camp, he was NOT a happy camper.....at all.  So I re-phrased it to 'Day Camp'.  There is one unit of boys named 'The Party Crashers' that include nine boys.  They are separate from the girls but they get to be involved in all the activities as well.  They also get to ambush the girl with squirt guns and ride their bikes around.

After the first day of camp was complete, Bryce tells me,

"Mom, I am SO happy you signed me up for this camp!  I just LOVE it!"















The campers, at times, get to view some wildlife living in the park.  Today two baby raccoon were spotted in a tree while we were making ice cream.  So cute.

Until one of them dropped thirty feet to the ground and broke its leg.  Animal Control was called and I'm SURE the raccoon will be nursed back to health.

Just never know what new day at Girl Scout Camp will bring.



















Were you a Girl Scout or Boy Scout growing up?


Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment, I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!
 
Pin It

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I went to Girl Scout day camp for a week every summer when I was growing up in Petaluma. It was so much fun and I have such great memories! I'm glad your daughter is enjoying it too. :)