Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 24, 2010

Zucchini Parmesan Cakes

If you've planted squash or zucchini in your garden, you are most likely at capacity right now with production. What to do with all that zucchini and squash?! I had to search and find some ideas other than the roasted dish and zucchini bread that I normally cook and bake.

I checked out Eating Well as I normally do for some inspiration. And don't these look good? Well, let me tell you, they are! Of course I changed up the recipe a little and we all loved it!

When you are making these, it's really important that you squeeze out as much of the water from the squash/zucchini as you can....otherwise you may end up with soggy cakes. Great way to get a veggie into your kid as well.



Zucchini Parmesan Cakes


Grate squash or zucchini...3 or 4 of them.  Squeeze out as much of the water as you possibly can.


Chop parsley and shallots and grate parmesan cheese.




Combine zucchini with the rest of the ingredients.


Pack a 1/3 cup measuring cup with the mixture and plop it in a heated, oiled skillet and flatten out a little.


Brown both sides....about 3-4 minutes.


Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.


I really liked this recipe.  Almost anything with parmesan is good in my book :)





4 servings

Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients
1 large egg
2/3 cup finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt - I used Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups shredded seeded summer squash or zucchini, (2-3 medium, about 1 pound; see Tip) I used zucchini
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup bread crumbs..I like Panko - I added this to the recipe

Preparation
1.Preheat oven to 400°F.

2.Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in shallots, parsley, salt and pepper. Place shredded squash in the center of a clean kitchen towel; gather up the ends and twist to squeeze out any liquid. Add the squash and cheese to the bowl; stir to combine.

3.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pack a 1/3-cup measuring cup with the squash mixture and unmold it into the pan; gently pat it down to form a 3-inch cake. Repeat, making 4 squash cakes. Cook until browned and crispy on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Gently turn the cakes over and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.


Tips & Notes
Tip: To remove the seeds from summer squash, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. To shred the squash, use the large-holed side of a box grater. Make sure water is squeezed out as much as possible.

Nutrition
Per serving: 130 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.


Happy Saturday! Pin It

6 comments:

Linda said...

My mama made zucchini pancakes like this when I was a kid and this summer I have been trying to recreate them. Your post here has shown me what I have been doing wrong....not squeezing out the water!! Thanks for posting this!

Stacey said...

This looks so good. Please come and make it for me. Pleeeeease.

Unknown said...

Yum! I am going to have to get these a try!

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

Thank-you! Just looking at all the zuccini flowers in my garden this wknd, besides flower fritters - I'm looking forward to using and enjoying this recipe! thanks thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Аlѕo viѕit my blog post .
.. 166.111.152.68
Also visit my blog ; http://www.biggreeneggmanual.com/a-review-of-the-digiq-automatic-bbq-temperature-control-device/

Anonymous said...

Aрprеciate this pοst. Will try it out.


Feеl free to surf to my websitе Bucket truck
my site :: bucket truck industry