Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 2, 2010

It's a Bull, It's a Bull, It's a Bull!!

So, remember yesterday when I was talking about freestall barns and snapped a few photos of ours to show you?  Well, in the far alleyway of the barn, there happened to be a few cows hanging out so I walked over, through (under) a freestall to see what they were up to and maybe snap a few more photos. 

Cows in general are very curious animals, they normally just stand back and watch me when I'm around.  But yesterday, while I was standing in the center of the alleyway, a "cow" started walking towards me in a , I felt, strange manner.  She had her head down low, almost like she was going run towards me at any moment.  At second glance I noticed........

It's a BULL, It's a BULL, It's a BULL!!!   

OH DEAR!  OH DEAR!  OH DEAR!

I high-tailed it SO quickly back under one of the freestalls, but not before I snapped a quick photo....he was really close!

If you've read my previous posts, you know how terrified I am of bulls.  Especiallly the Holstein bulls (we have two).  I don't know what it is but these two bulls always seem to find me.  There's over 200 cows around and two bulls and they always find me!  I'm usually pretty good at remembering to ask Dominic where the bulls are before I venture out on my own through the ranch, but I forgot to do so yesterday.

He probably looks pretty tame to you in this photo, but trust me, with all the snorting and head movements and all, I was shakin' in my work boots. 


I don't know if he was showing off, or playing in the sand or what, but he was making a big mess.


Keeping his eye on me the entire time.


He's giving me the 'stink' eye.

Or maybe he just didn't want his photo taken?  What do you think?
Happy Friday!  Cheers!
Pin It

5 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I totally think he has a crush on you!

Dana Gustafson said...

Bulls! I'm glad you noticed him before he got too close! eeeek! I like the idea of BIG steel posts between him and you!

Anonymous said...

Be careful Nnacy! Those young bulls are the worst! remember Grandpa. We're in Reseda tonight...nice weather....off the wedding site in the morn. Nonny

Anonymous said...

Having been raised in a dairy cattle region I was astonished when I moved to beef farming area as an adult - all them are like bulls! I would walk a mile out of my way to avoid crossing a field with 20 or so of them in - as I child I would skip through a field of twice as many dairy cows grazing and been totally indifferent towards them.

Unknown said...

any bull is not to be trusted. When I was a kid
my unkle was mauled to death by one that he had raised from a day old calf.
I have a healthy respect for any bull I come in contact with, the one on the farm where I milk has his moments, a pitchfork is a great modavator for him to get along and go into the barn when they are gonna be put in