Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

July 18, 2010

Date Night!

Last night Dominic and I had a date night.  It had been so long since just the two of us have been able to go out alone, we really need to do it more often. It's amazing how much conversation we can have without a 3 and 5 year old competing for talk time :)  The kids have been asking to stay over night at Nonny and Papa's house, so that's where they were.  Thank you Annette and George!



We chose to go to Semolina in Petaluma.  Italian food.  Neither one of us had ever been, but we had heard good things about it.



I didn't try the bread, but it didn't go to waste, Dominic ate every last piece with the 'cold' butter......we're very picky about butter.....it needs to be spreadable right?!



I did try the fried calamari that we ordered though.  It was a little more chewy than I like it, but it was good.


Ahhh.....one glass of La Crema Pinot.  Really good.



Calamari gone.


Dominic ordered minestrone soup which he said was really good.


I ordered the spinach salad which came topped with mushrooms and panchetta.  It was okay.  I don't like limp spinach, must have been the warm mushrooms - I don't recall the menu mentioning that the spinach salad was served warm....not sure.  But I was glad to get some extra greens into my system.


For an entree, I chose the salmon special which was topped with sun dried tomatoes, capers and a light lemon butter sauce.  Paired with fresh veggies and some potatoes.  I really like salmon and this dish was pretty good.  Dominic ordered linguine with clams in a white sauce but my photo was completely missing from my camera this morning!  I'm not sure what happened to it?! He liked his dish.


We shared a dessert.  I thought the Chocolate Raviolis looked good and something we have never tried before, so we ordered those.


Chocolate pasta filled with ricotta, white chocolate, Kahlua, and brown sugar with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream.  The raviolis are fried and therefore crispy.  When you dig into one, the ricotta mixture oozes out.  I liked them and Dominc didn't, he thought they tasted too much like ricotta for a dessert.


After dinner we decided to head over to Kodiak Jack's for some prime people watching and maybe dancing. It had been years since we had been to this place. 


Barry the bartender has been bar tending at Kodiak's for many, many years.  It was early in the night and therefore slow in the bar so Barry and Dominic got to catch up a little bit.


We definitely scored on the people watching!  Because look what type of party they were hosting last night.  Not really our thing, but it made for great people watching.


Some line dancing....


Dominic had a cocktail, I didn't.....still full from dinner.


They also had Karaoke going on where we heard the good, the bad and the terrible. But I give people credit for doing it, I'm definitely not brave enough.  SO entertaining.


The DJ.


No bull riding action.....but it was still early.

Said 'Bye' to Captain Morgan on our way out.


It was only 9 p.m. and we didn't want to go home yet so we headed over to Graziano's which is a delicious Italian restaurant and bar.



The Lemon Drop I drank, but shouldn't have.
























I only had the two drinks all night, but I woke up with the biggest headache this morning.  Luckily a couple of ibuprofen cured it in about 30 minutes.

Gotta go pack.  We're leaving for vacation in the morning.  No wi-fi available...Oh No!  But don't worry, I've scheduled some good blog posts for you to read and view while I'm away (if my blog host doesn't mess up with the automatic publish).  A few of them have to do with Grossi family history and some really cool photos circa 1940's - 50's.  I hope you enjoy them!

Happy Sunday! Pin It

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Fun! Date night, I love it! I've never been to Semolina but of course Graziano's several times over the years! Cute photos of you guys! Looks like you enjoyed a nice meal:-)

Anonymous said...

I love seeing you out and having a great time. A couple needs that once in a while, Today is our 45th anniv. and we still love being together and just talking.We are each others best friend. We did go to dinner last night and had the really nice time.

An Authentic Life said...

Hurray for Date Night! We love our nights out together, but we don't have young ones anymore!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog and was struck by the restaurant you ate at and that's when I realized I have eaten there! My dad and step-mom love that place and took me there when I was wine tasting with them a few years ago. They still go back anytime and every time they visit the area.

Ameena said...

I just stumbled on your blog and have to agree how great date nights are when you can actually talk without potty requests or ridiculous questions! :) I have a 5-yera-old so I can relate.

Nice to "meet" another blogger in California!

Ameena said...

yera = year...sorry!

Kristina Ruth said...

Looks like you had a great time. The food look awesome!

Linda said...

Hello! I found your blog on Pioneer Woman's comment section. I do am a wife of a dairyman...here in Iowa/Minnesota. My husband has been dairying since he was born basically. We don't own our own place but he is the herdsman for one of the top herds in the state of Minnesota. It is nice to see someone with the same kinda interest. Altho, I do know California dairies are much bigger! I was born in Cali and remember the dairies. I stay at home too. And yes, I saw the question you had in your profile about all milk being antibiotic free....true. So much misinformation out there about milk....just stopped by to say hey!