Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 5, 2012

TT w/Linky: Homemade Ice Cream with KitchenAid

With all the milk and cream we have around here, you might be surprised to hear that I've never made my own ice cream and I didn't even own an ice cream maker until last week.  In fact, only ice cream I've ever helped with was at Girl Scout day camp this past summer and that was done the old fashioned way, you know with rock salt and a hand crank.....good thing I had 13 girl scouts in my unit to take turns on that crank....it's a lot of work.

I guess one of the things that's held me back in the ice cream making process is the thought of storing another kitchen gadget.  Who has room for an ice cream maker?  Well, my friend, Katie mentioned to me that she uses the ice cream attachment to her KitchenAid stand mixer, and you know what?  You store the bowl in the freezer!  No extra large items to stuff into the kitchen cupboards.  

I was all over it.
























For our maiden voyage, Paige and I decided to make some pistachio ice cream, one of my fave's, a few days ago to test out the process.  Though she wasn't exactly what I would call thrilled to shell 1/2 a cup of pistachios, she did enjoy the mixing portion.



Her second task was to mix the cornstarch with a little milk for the slurry.



The thing about using freshly roasted pistachios or any nuts is a little goes a long way.  We used 1/2 cup and it was definitely heavy on flavor.

















After roasting, I pulverized them in my Magic Bullet and mixed them with a little Philly Cream Cheese.

















Brought the milk, sugar, corn syrup and heavy cream to a boil.  Add the slurry mix.

















Then gently and slowly add the milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture and stir until blended.

















Put it in a one gallon plastic bag and chill it in an ice water bowl for 30 minutes.

















Now for the fun part.  Take your ice cream bowl attachment out of the freezer where it's been living for at least 15 hours and attach it to the KitchenAid mixer.  Add the ice cream mixture from the iced bag, turn the KitchenAid on speed 1 and let it stir for 20-30 minutes.

















Done!

















Freeze for 3-4 hours and you end up with some very creamy, rich ice cream.
















I can't share the recipe just yet....I'm writing a review for our local newspaper on a ice cream cookbook and can't share until the article is out.  I did use store bought, pasteurized milk and cream to follow the recipe exactly but would love to try out raw milk in the future just to see how it would turn out.....stay tuned.



Link up with anything you’re thankful for! And if you’re not a blogger, just let us know in the comment section what you happen to be thankful for on this day
.


Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!
 
Pin It

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our kids got me an ice cream maker for Christmas and it is still in the box, with some great recipes like this I will need to get it out and try it. Ellie k

Katie said...

Well now I definitely will be waiting for the recipe to try in my KitchenAid. Can't wait. You'll laugh at my Thankful Thursday. It's about living in a fly over state...a little different than California. Miss you Nancy!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Thanks for the inspiration, Katie :) And I think it would be a good thing to be a 'fly over state'! Love that song by Jason Aldean too :)

The Coolidges said...

I have a cuisinart ice cream maker. Same idea as the kitchen aide mixer. We've had it for almost 2 years now and I've used it...maybe twice. However, this looks amazing and makes me want to put the container in the freezer.