Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 18, 2012

Dreamy Pumpkin Ice Cream

You've probably realized by now that pumpkin is one of my favorite seasonal flavors.  I wish it was available year around...but then again maybe I wouldn't appreciate it as much if it were.

I was asked to review an ice cream cook book for our local newspaper and one of the flavors I tried from the book was pumpkin. 

Mmmmm, this was good.  The recipe called for pumpkin puree that you roast yourself but I cheated a bit and used canned pumpkin puree....I have no patience sometimes....when I want something, I want it now and at that particular moment it was pumpkin ice cream, roasting would have taken entirely too long.



I can't share the recipe just yet, but if you start out with a basic ice cream base, just add 3/4 of a cup of pumpkin puree and some Chinese 5-Spice powder and you will end up with a delicious creamy pumpkin pie ice cream.

















And your house will harbor the sweet and spicy scent of fall cooking.

















Boil the milk, cream, seasoning and corn syrup for 4 minutes then add the cornstarch and boil again for a minute until it thickens.

















Add the milk mixture to your pumpkin and cream cheese mixture.

















Throw it in a Ziploc and give it a chilly ice bath for 30 minutes until good and cold.

















Ice cream maker time, I use my KitchenAid attachment, for 30 minutes.  Then store in airtight containers for at least 4 hours until it's good and hard.



Pin It

No comments: