Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 4, 2011

WW: Chicken Fried Cube Steak

I grew up in the country on a few acres of land with my parents raising their own beef to feed our family of five and now, with my own family, we do the same.  When we harvest beef, we usually stock up our freezer with either a quarter or a half of the animal for our family of four.  The first time doing this was definitely a learning experience for me because with this amount of beef, comes many different cuts.  Cuts I wasn't really familiar with cooking.  I learned by trial and error with many of the cuts.  Cube steak was one of the cuts I tried a few different ways. 

The first experiment with cube steak was to BBQ it.  It was okay, but I don't recommend it.  Cube steak should be prepared one way, and one way only.

Chicken Fried.

Cube Steak is a cut of beef, usually top round or top sirloin, tenderized by fierce pounding with a  meat mallet, or by an electric tenderizer.  It kind of looks like hamburger, but it's steak.

For chicken fried steak, you want to season the cube steak with salt and pepper.
















Add some Seasoning Salt and pepper to a dish of four and mix completely.

Dredge the cube steak in the flour.  I don't use egg batter, just the wetness of the steak is good enough and easier with one less step.
Drizzle some olive oil {or you can use butter of course} in a skillet, heat until hot on medium high.















Fry the steak about 4 minutes or so per side.















Done.

We went all out this night and made mashed potatoes and corn on the cob to go along with.  SO good!

Have you ever made Chicken Fried Steak yourself??

I'm linking up to the following for Wordless Wednesday:
Pinke Post
Project Alicia
Live and Love Out Loud

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!


Pin It

7 comments:

jules said...

I've never made that. We get all of our beef from a local farmer and I never know what to do with all the round steak. Can I beat up the round steak and do this? Is cube steak really round steak? Help!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Jules, I think if you use a meat mallet on round steak it would cause too much damage {beat it up too much}. We have our butcher prepare it for us when we harvest our beef. And yes, cube steak is usually Top Round or Top Sirloin steak.

TnTConnect said...

I definately love raising my own beef. We just started about 5 years ago. However, my butcher and I have never discussed cube steak. Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Love chicken fried steak! We start it off the way you did and then finish it off in a foil covered pan with green bell pepper slivers on top. Served with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. So yummy!

Katie said...

Yes we love Chicken Fried Steak! Great recipe. I also make Pioneer Woman steak sandwiches with cube steak. Fantastic. Happy WW!

Natalie Pozniak said...

Yum! I think I will have to try this sometime for dinner. Great photos!

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

I make mine without the egg wash too. It's too battery/breaded for us!