Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

February 6, 2012

Molten Lava Mini Cakes

This upcoming weekend I'll be teaching our 4H cooking group how to make Molten Lava Mini Cakes.  Before teaching anything to the group of 13, I like to try it out before the class to work out any issues that can arise.  So, this post-Super Bowl party morning, after dropping the kids off at school, I got busy making these little gems.

These would also be a quick and easy dessert for a Valentine's Day party.  From start to finish, I had these mixed, baked, plated, photographed, taste tested AND dishes washed all within 55 minutes.  So simple.















Here's what you need for success.....{full recipe below}
















Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave....low and slow until smooth.















Mix in the flour and powdered sugar to the chocolate/butter mixture, until smooth.
















Add the vanilla extract and mix in.















Now, here's where I did a little testing. I used a muffin tin and .......

















the traditional ramekin to decide which would be better to use while teaching a group of 13 kids.

 


















After filling the tin and ramekin, pop them in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.  The edges will  be firm but the center should remain runny.
















The mini molten cakes in the muffin tin were firm across the top....which was good because I had to flip these guys over and hope they wouldn't run out over the wax paper.

They didn't....it all worked out and I was able to transfer them to a plate before any 'lava' oozed out.















I prefer the ramekin version over the muffin tin though.  It's more attractive and you can serve it in the ramekin itself.
















Muffin tin version............(which had I have left upside down on the plate, would have been more attractive).















Dig into it and the molten lava is ready to ooze out.  I was going to top these with raspberries but someone, {BRYCE} ate the entire contents of the two pints I had bought.  Strawberries are just as good.  Sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top and you're done.















I didn't have a 'taste tester' so dang it, I had to taste test it myself at 9:30 in the morning....my breakfast.
















This recipe is not only super simple to bake, it's absolutely delicious!  LOVED it.  Hope you will also.
















Molten Lava Mini Cakes

Ingredients:
1 1/4 sticks of butter
1 cup of chocolate chips {I used milk chocolate}
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 large eggs
plus 3 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray your ramekins or muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium microwavable bowl melt the chocolate chips with the butter....low and slow so the chocolate doesn't burn.  Sixty seconds, stir and then at 30 second intervals until smooth...about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.
Add flour and powdered sugar to the chocolate-butter mixture until smooth.
Add the eggs and the 3 egg yolks and stir until smooth.
Add vanilla and stir it in.
Divide the batter evenly to the muffin tin or ramekins.  Bake for 10 minutes.  The edges will be firm and the center runny.....this is what you want.  Invert onto dessert plates or if using the ramekins, you can choose to serve it in the ramekin.

Top with powered sugar, sliced strawberries or a few raspberries and even some whipped cream.

Enjoy!!


Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!


Pin It

6 comments:

Dar said...

OK, so how's a girl supposed to loose weight drooling over this gooey, 'delish' stuff...the 13 will 'inhale' these. Wonderful recipe.
I used to teach cooking in 4H....a lifetime ago.
BlessYourHeart

Dana Gustafson said...

Definitely should not have read your post while I could totally go for some chocolate molten lava! Absolutely delish Nancy, the kids are going to go gaga!

ann said...

Looks good to me I must try that one. Yum

Maureen said...

I love these. Sadly, I know before I start taking the ingredients out of the pantry that I'll eat until I can't fit one more bite in. I love the gooey middle. :)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous presentation. I love "pretty" food.

Unknown said...

These look amazing! We usually do chocolate dipped fruit - strawberries, bananas, oranges - for Valentine's dessert.... but I'm pretty sure the menu will be a little different this year! Yumm!! Can't wait to try these out! Thanks!
Be sure to take a peek at our first giveaway!