Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

September 14, 2010

"Nature's Pride" Fig and Gorgonzola Melt with Caramelized Onions and Bacon

I wanted to come up with something super tasty as my submission recipe for the Foodbuzz Nature's Pride recipe contest.  So I thought and thought about some of my favorite foods and flavors:  Gorgonzola {gotta have cheese!}, fig, onion {yes onion} and bacon.  Why not put them all together to create a Nature's Pride Fig and Gorgonzola Open Faced Melt?!

If you don't already know, the Foodbuzz Nature's Pride contest is open to all Foodbuzz Featured Publishers.  Any variety of Nature's Pride bread can be utilized to create a unique recipe for submission to  the contest.  The winners of the contest will receive airfare and accommodations to the Foodbuzz Festival in San Francisco this November.

Obviously I don't need the airfare because I only live 30 minutes away but I wanted to enter the contest anyway because 1) I love contests and 2) I envisioned this recipe in my sleep.....yep, this is what I dream about these days...food and blog. 

This is how it all went down....


I used Nature's Pride 100% whole wheat bread for the base and spread a touch of butter on it.

Caramelized some onions with butter....

and sugar.....

so they end up looking like this {about 10 minutes}.  While the onions were doing their thing, I fried up a piece of bacon.

Crumbled some creamy Gorgonzola cheese......yum, yum, yum!


I sprinkled the Gorgonzola on the slice of buttered Nature's Pride bread, added the caramelized onions, sliced fig and crumbled bacon, so it looked like this....

 


Baked it at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes or until all the cheese is bubbly and the bread is toasted.




Boy was this ever good!  I ate it for lunch.

This Fig & Gorgonzola Melt was full of flavor and very quick and easy to prepare.





Pin It

3 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Yum- I'm still looking for a friend with a fig tree- saw them at the market but I KNOW everyone but me has a tree around here.

Pat Tillett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat Tillett said...

that looks so darn good!
I'd like some right now please...
good idea