Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

December 11, 2010

Low Fat Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

Last night, Dominic and I had a date night and decided to head downtown to Finnegan's Marin.  Now, I didn't snap any photos because I knew I would have the exact same thing as the last time we were at Finnegan's........it was that good and I've been craving it ever since.  Dominic also ordered the same thing as last time.  We were not dissappointed.  A great way to end a busy day.

Earilier in the day, the kids and I made some treats to eat.
If you're trying to cut back on calories just a wee bit during the holidays like I am, you may enjoy this low fat pumpkin spice cupcake/muffin recipe.  My friend, Lori, told me about this Weight Watchers recipe for pumpkin spice cupcakes where you use a boxed spice cake mix and one can of pumpkin and that's it!  No added oil or eggs.  I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try out the new silicone Christmas cupcake trays I bought at Target for $2.50.....{such a deal!}














Here's what you need for success.  Your favorite spice boxed cake mix, one can of pumpkin, canned frosting {or make some from scratch} and almond or vanilla extract.













Cupcake/muffin trays.













Two or more willing participants.













Directions:  stir can of pumpkin with the box of Spice cake mix.  It feels pretty stiff when finished.













Scoop with a medium ice cream scooper to fill each 3/4 full.



















Bake according to the box directions.  My oven normally bakes on the hotter side and the box I used said 18 - 24 minutes and I timed mine for 18 minutes, which was not enough.













Looked good from the top, but they were a bit under cooked, but that's what I get for not checking with a toothpick, right!













Add one tsp. vanilla or almond extract to one tub of store bought frosting and beat with electric mixer.  This technique helps the frosting taste a little closer to home made.













Frost and decorate.


Oh, and we also used powdered sugar to decorate a few of them as well.

Pin It

3 comments:

ann said...

I just might have to try them I have a Christmas luncheon on Monday and they sound great

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yum, yum Unfortunately we don't get such things over here in the UK but a girl can dream!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Weaver, never realized that there's no boxed cake mixes in the UK!