Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

March 3, 2010

Is The Milk You Buy Local To Your Area?

Are your dairy products local?


Now you can check to see if your dairy products are made in the state you live in with this website I came across. Where Is My Milk From?
Many times when you look at the different brands of milk in the grocery store, they appear to be different qualities of milk. Now you can enter the code on the package through Where Is My Milk From and you will see that many of the different brands come from the same plant.

For instance, our milk is picked up once a day by our Cooperative, DFA (Dairy Farmers Of America). DFA then markets the milk to a number of different processors such as, Sunnyside, Berekly Farms & LePrino Cheese. DFA also owns a cheese plant in Hughson, CA. Each processor packages the milk into their own label......many different labels, same milk.

The website is so easy to use! I checked my fridge and this is what I came up with~
Bryce's Lucerne Lactose Free milk is from a plant in Gustine, CA......


Here's the number on it - 06-446 (the first two numbers in the code is the state code, for instance in this number '06' is California.....



This Costco Kirkland milk is from a plant in Fresno, CA.....



Here's the number on it - 06-4199



This yogurt is from Fullerton, CA



Here's the number on it - 06-19

Oooh, I see that the expiration date has come and gone....bummer.



Milk is the most tested food product in the United States

This is how it happens with DFA~



Human hands never touch the milk from the time it leaves the cow until it reaches consumers. On the farm, each bulk tank of milk is tested for quality, antibiotics and bacteria levels. At the processing plant, each truckload of milk is quality checked before the milk is unloaded into storage units specially designed to maintain milk in a sterile environment at proper temperatures.



In addition to those precautions, DFA’s manufacturing operations quality check finished products (like cheese) to ensure that customers and, ultimately, consumers are receiving the freshest tasting dairy products possible.

All milk delivered to the marketplace must meet DFA’s quality standards.

Happy Wednesday!
Pin It

6 comments:

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

This Ozarks farm chick used to dairy for many years but now the Ponderosa only sports beef cattle. This is so interesting that ya'll can track the milk. Who knew??? My son even works in the lab at a local DFA . Thanks for the post, now I gotta check where my milk came from. Heeeheehe!

From the hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa, ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day!!!

TnTConnect said...

GO DFA! They are our milk marketers also...thank you for the website, I didn't know it existed.

TnTConnect said...

I just had to come back to say...YEP I am drinking local milk and some of it is probably mine as DFA ships my milk to Verifine (which is where my code came up)! Thank you again!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Miss Cavanaugh, you are very welcome! The website is a new one that a college student put together....great idea isn't it? Glad to hear you're drinking your own milk! ~nancy

k. said...

Okay, that is cool. I checked my milk (Organic from Costco) and it comes from Platteville, Colorado, which is sad because I'm currently in Maryland. We have a dairy up the road that sells ice cream and other local products. In the summer (when I'm in there every week), I buy my milk there (sadly, it costs almost twice as much as it does at Costco). I want to support local businesses, but I drink A LOT of milk, and the difference adds up fast.

Do you drink milk straight from your own cows? Man, I'd love to have some fresh, raw milk.

This milkaholic thanks you for another great post.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Hi K.

We buy our milk AND drink our own fresh, raw milk.....sooo good! Thanks for visiting!
~nancy