Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

February 22, 2010

An Attempt at Reupholstery & Chocolate and Bananas

I finally found the time to visit the fabric store to look for some upholstery fabric for our dining room chairs. Our seven year old dining room chairs are completely and disgracefully stained. I suppose these things happen when there are kids in the family and add to the fact that we use our dining room table to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. I'm not trying to blame it on the kids entirely, we have had many dinner parties where wine was spilt as well.

I searched the remnant pile at the fabric store and found what I was looking for....wipeable vinyl for $6 a yard. Great! All that was needed was three yards for six chairs. The back side..... While we were visiting my parent's house this past weekend, I asked my Dad if he had a staple gun I could borrow. Of course he does! He proceeded to bring out a hammer type, a traditional staple gun and an electric staple gun. My Dad has almost every tool ever invented and probably two or three of each. I chose the electric one. Who knew they made electric staple guns? I did not, but was ecstatic to find out this piece of information. This was going to make my job much easier.

I'm not trying to staple Chloe, she just snuck into the photo.....

I've never reupholstered anything before, but I thought anything would look better than the way the chairs look at the present time. The Steps:

  • remove chair pads with screwdriver
  • clean all crumbs and food particles from where the chair pad met the chair frame (yuk)
  • lay the chair pad down on top of fabric
  • pull fabric up around the chair pad bottom
  • staple as you go
  • trim off excess fabric
  • re-attach the pad to the frame
  • done

Well, the chairs don't look professionally done or beautiful in any way, but they do look better than they did, and that was my goal. Now we can just wipe off spilled food, milk, wine, etc. Have you ever tried to reupholster? If so, please lend me some tips for next time!

Now, time to test out the clean ability of the new upholstery job.....

Chocolate & Banana Satisfy that chocolate craving with a drizzle of melted chocolate chips over banana slices for an easy and low fat, low calorie treat. 1 serving Ingredients 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate if preferred) 1/2 banana, thinly sliced 1 tablespoon nonfat vanilla yogurt Preparation Melt chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave. Top banana slices with the chocolate and yogurt. Nutrition Per serving: 117 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium. 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving Enjoy & Happy Monday! Pin It

No comments: