Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 2, 2013

TT w/Linky: Dutch Oven Chuck Roast

Growing up, I remember my mother cooking roasts on what seemed to be a weekly basis.  We raised our own beef and ate some sort of beef every single night of the week.  This included tongue soup, liver and onions and even some tail soup.  Still clear in my mind is the memory of walking down the lane with the neighbor kids from the bus stop, and as we approached my house, the smell of braised beef would waft out the window and down the lane leaving all the kids craving food once they got to their own doorstep.

Fast forward to the present, we normally always have a freezer full of our own raised beef just as my parents did but it's getting down to slim pickin's at the moment......only a few roasts and some short ribs along with a pile of ground beef chubs remain.  I DO like roast but my only way of cooking it, until now, has been in my slow cooker.  Well, Santa came a few days late this year with this fabulous 8 quart dutch oven roaster and I now can braise and cook my remaining roasts the way my mom used to.


















Salt and pepper a roast.  I used Chuck Roast this time.  Add some olive oil in the cast iron roaster and braise the beef until you hear it sizzling for a few minutes and it browns.
















Flip the hunk-0-meat and do the same thing to the other side.  I could have probably seared it a little bit longer, but this was all new to me and it was my first time using this method.

















Remove the roast and set aside.  Add some butter and sliced onions to the roaster and cook until translucent.  Add some garlic and cook until it's soft.



















Add 1 cup of white wine and 1/2 cup of water to the pot, stirring and scraping with a wooden spoon, all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.  About 1 minute.

















Return the beef roast to the pot and add any vegetables you might like.  I use potatoes and carrots.

















Cover and transfer to a 300 degree oven for about 3 hours.
















The thing I like about cooking roast is you can make it your own.....you can add stewed tomatoes, rosemary, any sort of root vegetable to change it up every time.
















Beef Roast

Ingredients:
1 beef chuck roast {about 4 pounds}
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 T unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup water
1 pound of potatoes
carrots

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Heat an 8 quart dutch oven {cast iron roaster} over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes.  Add olive oil.  Salt and pepper the chuck roast and add to the roaster.  Brown both sides. Transfer to plate and set aside.

Add butter and yellow onion to pot.  Cook until onion is translucent.  Add garlic, cook for another 3 minutes. Add wine and 1/2 cup water to pot and cook, stirring and scraping brown bits from bottom of pot, about 1 minute.

Return beef to pot and add vegetables and more salt and pepper.  Cover and transfer to oven, cook for about 3 hours.




Link up with anything you’re thankful for! And if you’re not a blogger, just let us know in the comment section what you happen to be thankful for on this day.
 
Pin It

1 comment:

k. said...

That roast looks so yummy. I made a roast like this recently and it made me wonder why I don't make a roast every weekend!