Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

February 1, 2013

Creamsicle Cocktail

Have you ever tasted something in your adult life that transports you right back to a childhood memory?
Cream soda has that affect on me.

I LOVED cream soda as a kid.  My Mom didn't buy it very often but when she did, it felt special.  I still remember what the blue-green Shasta cream soda cans looked like back then and the feeling of carefree happiness I had as a child on summer break.  Our family didn't take summer vacations, or any vacations, ever, but the memories I have from childhood summers are precious.

A typical day would be spent roller skating in one of our chicken house barns/playhouse and at lunch time, I would make myself and my little sister submarine sandies on a hot dog buns, package up some cheese Doritos...they had those back then, really, and a can of Shasta cream soda and picnic out on the front lawn in the warm summer sun.

Life seemed much simpler back then.





























Fast forward to adulthood.  I don't drink cream soda, or any soda anymore, unless it has something to do with a cocktail.  A while back I bought a bottle of  'Whipped Cream' flavored vodka and thought and thought...."what can I concoct with this stuff?"  Hmmmm.

























I always have diet Ginger Ale on hand at my house...for cocktails.  One day I mixed the two and OH MY!  I have an adult version of cream soda!  Oh YES!  And with very little calories.  I have now found my summer time cocktail.....that may extend beyond summer time.






















If you like the taste of cream soda....you will LOVE this cocktail.  Only two ingredients plus crushed ice.  Cheers!


Pin It

4 comments:

BS said...

My summers were really simple too, but very memorable. Such good memories just playing around the ranch without a care...
(weekendcowgirl.com)

George said...

Have the kids taught their calves to lead yet?

Nancy ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Hi George! The kids are working on their calves and they're doing pretty well! Have a great weekend!
~nancy

k. said...

I also have fond childhood memories of Shasta cream soda. I only got it once a week--if that. I have heard that those whipped cream vodkas are freakishly good. I'm going to have to get some.