Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 21, 2010

Vegetable Fried Rice

Wow, what long day I had yesterday! I bought an ipod Nano last week after my friend, Natalie showed me how easy it was to take video footage with one. It looked like the quality of the video was good as well. The purchase of the ipod Nano also required a purchase of a movie making/dvd burning program for our computer...Nero 9. This is where my long day began. I spent at least five hours working on this new program. When I was finally able to rotate the video to the correct direction for viewing and able to burn it to a dvd, I tried playing the dvd in our dvd player and it didn't work!
I'm working on this issue today....stay tuned!

Once I have everything figured out with this new computer program, it's going to be fantastic carrying this little, lite, ipod Nano with me everywhere I go. I'm sure it'll get many more hours of use taking spontaneous video as apposed to the larger video camera that we have and usually only use on holidays. Capturing video of the kids playing T-Ball, gymnastics class, and even some dairy farm video to share here on my blog is going to be just great.....I'm sure of it!




After the Moosemilk recipe yesterday, I thought I should show something a little bit healthier today. Vegetable Fried Rice. Yum! You can also throw in broccoli and shredded carrots or anything else that sounds good. I increase the amount of the lite soy sauce when I add to this recipe. This dish goes great with salmon, chicken or flank steak. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


















Photo by Eating Well

Vegetable Fried Rice

2 servings, 2 cups each

Ingredients• 1 cup instant brown rice
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 6 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 bunch)
• 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
• 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
• 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• Hot red pepper sauce, to taste

Preparation
1. Combine rice and broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large plate and let stand for 5 minutes.

2. While the rice is cooling, coat a large nonstick wok or skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in eggs and cook, stirring gently, until just set, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.

3. Heat canola oil in the pan over medium-high; add asparagus and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, scallions, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan; cook until the liquid is absorbed, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Fold in the cooked eggs. Remove from the heat; stir in sesame oil and hot sauce.

Nutrition
Per serving
: 364 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (200% daily value), Vitamin A (70% dv), Iron (20% dv), Folate (19% dv). Pin It

No comments: