Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

November 3, 2014

Easy Portuguese Kale and Linquica Soup

I grew up on Portuguese Kale Soup.  We had it at least a few times per month during the chilly months. My mom was born and raised in Brazil, my dad on the Azores Islands of Portugal, so Portuguese food was plentiful in our home growing up.

We grew kale in our garden every year and  I vividly remember picking the leaves and breaking off the stalks and then eating them raw right out of the garden.  We also raised our own beef and my mom would incorporate any type of meat into this soup.....many times some sort of beef roast or soup bones and sometimes even cow tongue....nothing went to waste in our home. 

Just a few days ago, the kids and I spent a rainy, chilly day at my parent's home.....a perfect day to cook for them this time.  I didn't go the cow tongue route here.....I used Linguica instead....another favorite Portuguese delicacy I have cravings for every now and then.  This is a super easy soup to throw together last minute.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.







Easy Portuguese Kale and Linguica Soup
Ingredients:

4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 15 oz cans of chicken broth
4 cups of kale, chopped, thick stems removed
3 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15 oz cans of white Cannellini beans
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 15 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 link of Linguica, sliced 1/4 inch thick


Directions:

In a large soup pot, cook onions and garlic in olive oil...careful not to burn the garlic, until onions are translucent.

Add the potatoes.  Stir and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the linguica, beans, kale, diced tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil.

Cover and reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking stirring every so often, until the potatoes are tender.  About 20 minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste.  Continue to cook a little longer and add water if needed for a thinner broth.




Pin It

No comments: