Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

February 10, 2014

Slow Cooker Stew

We have FINALLY been experiencing some wet weather here in California.  And with rainy days, comes my craving for stew....along with a fire in the wood stove and a glass {or two} of a full bodied Zin.  We have quite a few roasts in our freezer at the moment and sometimes, just to mix it up, I cut a roast into stew sized pieces to cook in the slow cooker.....and this is exactly what I did over the weekend.





I pulled out a Sirloin Tip Roast out of the freezer and thawed it, sliced it into chunks sized at around one inch squared.  Now, if you're not lazy, like myself, you can brown the meat chunks after dredging them in flour and salt and pepper in olive oil for a few minutes.





I didn't do that, this time.  Sometimes a rainy Sunday calls for a lazy day.  I through all the meat in to my slow cooker, added whole, washed, Yukon Gold potatoes, baby carrots and a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix with 2 cups of water.  Cooked on low for six hours.  

Dinner was done and ready to serve at 6 p.m., fire roaring in the wood stove and a glass of Zin in hand = a happy Mama.





What's your go-to rainy day meal?

Pin It

No comments: