Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

April 23, 2010

I Have a Craving!

Spin class at Rolling Hills Club kicked my behind this morning.  Maybe that is what's triggered my unstoppable craving for chocolate!  Or maybe, the mere fact that I worked out today justifies a sweet treat somewhere in my crazy mind.  Whatever the reason......I want chocolate and I want it NOW!

I wanted to find something to both satisfy my craving and stay somewhat healthy.  It's all about moderation, right?  So I went to my 'go to' site for healthy recipes, Eating Well, for the answer.  This looks like it's going to hit the spot.......What do you think?

Grilled Dark Chocolate Sandwich

Photo by EatingWell

 
Both simpler and more decadent than a chocolate croissant, a grilled chocolate sandwich is a marriage of bread and chocolate in which the two components are evenly matched.  What can be better than bread and chocolate?....two of my favorite things......okay, a glass of Zin would go nicely in the mix as well.

Ingredients
1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
8 slices thin whole-wheat or white sandwich bread
3 tablespoons bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate like I enjoy)
2 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts, (optional)


Preparation
1.  Heat evaporated milk just until boiling. Add chocolate, let stand for 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly.

2.  Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Divide the chocolate mixture on the unbuttered side of 4 slices, leaving a little border. Press chocolate chips and nuts, if using, into the chocolate. Cover with the remaining slices of bread, buttered-side up, and press lightly.

3.  Cook the sandwiches in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn over, press with a spatula, and cook until nicely browned and the chocolate is barely melted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Serve warm.

Nutrition
Per serving: 151 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 131 mg sodium; 28 mg potassium.


What do you do to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings?  Give in, try to stay healthy, or abstain all together?

Happy Friday!  Cheers! Pin It

2 comments:

Stacey said...

That is an amazing looks snack/dessert/breakfast/treat. Yummy!

k. said...

That looks so yummy, but I think I'm just going to cut corners and use Nutella.