Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

April 15, 2010

Beef Short Ribs~Easier than you think!

Since we typically have a freezer full of our natural beef at all times, I like to dig into the depths of the freezer and pick out a cut of beef that I wouldn't typically buy at the grocery store. Not because I haven't eaten or enjoyed these cuts, but because I've had very little experience preparing them. Beef short ribs came up in my hand this time.

I searched online for an easy to prepare recipe that looked really good. This is what I came up with.....of course I added my own modifications to the recipe. I'm a big believer in using what I have on hand in the pantry at the particular time, rather than running to the grocery store for one or two ingredients.






Trim fat from rib meat. Salt and pepper the short ribs and place in a dutch oven.....


Okay, I'm not very good at trimming the fat......



Cover the short ribs with water and simmer for two hours. Boiling the ribs first makes them so tender and gets rid of a lot of the fat.......
While the short ribs are simmering, I mixed some ingredients together for basting.

1/3 cup honey (I used honey instead of molasses)

2/3 cup ketchup

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 T dry mustard

1/2 tsp. chili powder

1/2 tsp. garlic salt (I used garlic salt instead of garlic powder)



Combine everything......


After two hours of simmering, drain and place short ribs on a broiling pan.




Baste with the sauce that has been mixed.......





Broil on medium for 10 to 15 minutes, turning and basting with sauce often.




The meat just falls off the bone......so good. Enjoy!
A great family meal!

Happy Thursday! Pin It

1 comment:

Pat Tillett said...

I want those....right now!