Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

March 14, 2013

'BOTW' Stout Floats


I have a new love for something thick, rich and dark....Stout.  I admit, I've always been a Coors Light kinda girl...and still am, BUT I am loving my Guinness or any sort of chocolate tasting stout.  I can normally only consume one, cuz when you're used to light {very light} beer, stouts feel heavy and rich.....or at least it does for me.

So check this week's 'Best of the Web' by Bon Appetite!  

Stout Floats.

Oh yeah.





















photo and recipe courtesy Bon Appetite
I may modify my own Stout Float to include vanilla ice cream and some chocolate stout and maybe a few chocolate sprinkles.


Stout Floats

Ingredients
cocoa syrup
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (spooned into cup to measure, then leveled)
2/3 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

floats
1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons KahlĂșa or other coffee-flavored liqueur
Chocolate ice cream
3 12-ounce bottles or 2 pints (about) chilled stout

special equipment
6 iced-tea spoons
6 straws

Preparation
cocoa syrup
Whisk sugar, cocoa powder, and pinch of salt in small saucepan. Pour 2/3 cup boiling water into heat-resistant measuring cup. Whisk just enough boiling water from cup into cocoa mixture in saucepan to form smooth paste (about 3 tablespoons), then whisk in remaining water. Bring to simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Simmer syrup 11/2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. DO AHEAD Can be made 3 weeks ahead. Cover; chill.

floats
Using electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla in medium bowl until peaks form. Cover; chill. Pour 1 tablespoon KahlĂșa and 1 tablespoon cocoa syrup into each of six 10-ounce glasses. Place 1 scoop of ice cream in each glass. Add stout, pouring gently down side of tilted glass to prevent too much head from forming. Spoon dollop of whipped cream into each glass. Drizzle with cocoa syrup, place spoon and straw in each, and serve immediately.
Pin It

1 comment:

k. said...

I've tried the stout float with some cinnamon vanilla honey ice cream from the local dairy. Yumm. I think Young's Double Chocolate Stout would also make a great float. I'm throwing a Guinness in the fridge and putting ice cream on the shopping list. Thanks for reminding me about this treat.