Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

December 18, 2012

Easy and Chocolate Trifle that Feeds a Crowd

'Tis the season for holiday parties.  I love this time of year and really enjoy attending holiday gatherings at friend's homes; everyone brings a little something to share, which allows more time for everyone to visit rather than preparing the meal during the party.  

The dinner party we attended this past Saturday night was at my friend, Mendy's house.  It was so much fun; great food, friends, white elephant gift exchange, wine, more wine and a sit down prime rib dinner for 12....SO good.

I brought dessert.  A chocolate trifle that feeds a crowd and then some.  I highly suggest bringing this to your holiday gathering if you're on dessert duty.....REALLY easy, light and airy and it involves chocolate.....can't go wrong!













I used a straight up box cake mix...chocolate fudge by Duncan Hines.  Before baking, I sprinkled some chocolate chips on the batter....can never have too much chocolate, right?



















Bake according to the directions on the box and let cool completely.  I baked mine the day before the party so it was ready to roll when I was ready to put the trifle together.

















You can use a trifle bowl, punch bowl, or any clear glass bowl to assemble your trifle.  First layer begins with the baked chocolate cake, cut into small squares and layered in the bottom of the bowl.


Next, add a layer of chocolate pudding.  I made the Jello Instant chocolate pudding mix with whole milk, 5.9 oz size.














Now, you can use pre-made whipped topping but I prefer to make my own whipped cream....it's SO easy and tastes 100 times better.

One cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract,

















and 2 tablespoons of sugar {add more sugar if you like it sweeter}.  Whip it up with an electric mixer until it forms peaks.



Done. Then add the whip cream layer on top of the pudding layer.  Fourth layer, sprinkle crumbled up Heath bar on top of the whipped cream and begin the layering process all over again.



















Finish with a healthy helping of Heath Bar crumbles on top.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the  fridge for a few hours before serving.













What's your favorite holiday dessert?


Pin It

2 comments:

Alice said...

And as I recall, I went for seconds and ate straight from the bowl!! Soooooooo delish! Thanks for the recipe Nancy!

k. said...

Trifle looks so pretty and tastes so good, I don't know why I've never made one. If I wasn't eating extremely low carb (it is difficult for this cake lover....) I'd make this and devour it.