Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 15, 2012

TT w/Linky: Sibling Rivalry

Summer is coming to a close.  At least when talking summer vacation from school.  No more mid-morning calf feeding or calf moving for Bryce and Paige, at least not for a while.  They will soon be back on school time, which means bedtime no later than 8:30 p.m. and breakfast at 7 a.m. and school from 8:15 to 2:45p.m.

Just yesterday the kids helped their daddy load up six calves to move across the road to the 'Woods'.  Something that Dominic could have easily accomplished on his own in about five minutes, took a good 15 with the kids.....oh, and me.

The kids were truly trying to help, donned with their spray bottles, set on 'stream' to help move the cattle.  Well they moved, scattered rather....in the wrong direction.

Mayhem for sure.

Giggles all around....except from Dominic, who just wanted to get his work done and move on to the next project.



















Once we made it over to the 'Woods', the spray bottles that Bryce and Paige used as calf movers turned on each other.  Sibling rivalry at its finest, will it ever end?!  Or will they forever pick on each other?

















The light at the end of the tunnel might be years away but I do catch a glimpse of it now and again and for that, I'm thankful.




















Link up with anything you’re thankful for! And if you’re not a blogger, just let us know in the comment section what you happen to be thankful for on this day.
 

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!
 
Pin It

6 comments:

Dar said...

Spray bottles to move the cattle, is that anything like keeping the dog off the couch? I loved this and for your humor, I am thankful. I am also so thankful for the cool of the morning, the crispness of the evenings and the sun with rain.
BlessYa and LetThemRival

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Hi Dar, yes,sorta like spraying the dog or cat....or so the kids think :) Thank you for stopping by !!

Robyn said...

Nancy
I am sure chores took a lot longer when Sister and I wanted to help!

Sister and I fought like cats and dogs growing up. Once we got into high school we basically became inseparable. We are pretty close. We can still get upset with each other, but it doesn't last long.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Good to hear, Robyn....you're giving me some hope here :) ~nancy

Unknown said...

My girls are almost 8 and 10, and the rivalry has started. I think it really hit the fan this summer because the oldest was in 4-H for the first time, and we had the youngest help with the two 4-H calves (dairy, one heifer and one steer). The youngest actually enjoys working with the cattle more than the youngest, but she realized she wasn't getting any tangible benefits (my words not hers) from it all. She knew she was learning a lot, but she still doesn't get to show for two years. The oldest, at times, took a bit of advantage of the situation despite our best efforts not to let that happen. It's the beginning of "Why am I not old enough to....." The youngest so wanted to be in 4-H and do all the projects, animal and other. Poor thing. I won't even start on the oldest's beginning signs of moodiness and entry into that lovely adolescent point in life. Why does it start so early now? Sigh....Maybe since I'm 50, it's amplified at times more than it seems. Stay tuned!

Tiffany said...

Great photos! My brother and I were raised on our family's farm (beef cattle and sheep) and I honestly beleive that growing up working together to take care of the animals...even with the occasional (or frequent!) spats, is the absolute best way to create a stron bond between siblings!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com