Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

July 17, 2012

A Lil' Bit of Chicken Fried ~ Steak

I think I have FINALLY got it right with this Chicken Fried Steak attempt {number 4}.  As many of you know, we raise our own beef here on the ranch and after the first 'harvest' of our first animal, years ago we had a freezer full of home grown beef cuts.....a few of them I was not too familiar with.





















One of them being, Cube Steak.  What the heck do with I do with Cube Steak?!  I'm not Southern, nor do I cook like I'm Southern so Chicken Fried Steak is something that I had heard of but never tried.....to eat or cook.

Before testing out my Southern cooking skills, I wanted to find out exactly what part of the steer this Cube Steak was coming from.

Cube steak is a cut of beef, usually top round or top sirloin, tenderized by fierce pounding with a meat tenderizer, or use of an electric tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left by that process called 'cubing'.


 My first attempts at it, I seasoned the flour and not the beef itself, which caused over-seasoning or under-seasoning for me....I just couldn't get it right!  This last time I seasoned the meat itself with salt and pepper...total jackpot for me.  Then I floured it.

















Placed them in a skillet with heated olive oil and cooked a few minutes on each side.


















Done and Delicious!  Raves from all around the dinner table this time.  Phew!
















I didn't go the entire Southern route....I served my Chicken Fried Steak with veggies and salad rather than mashed potatoes and gravy.    Low Carb and high on taste with room for a cold beer! 





Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It
Post a Comment