Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

January 2, 2012

Regifting ~ Faux Pas or Not?

It's over.  The holiday season has officially ended.  Are you happy?  Do you have a surplus of gifts that you've acquired over the holidays that you can't use or don't want?

Regifting.  Is it okay to do or not??


photo courtesy google image

Here's what Emily Post has to say on the matter:

Gifts should only be 'recycled' or 'regifted' occasionally.  And ONLY if you're almost positive the recipient would appreciate the gift. 
  • You never want to hurt any one's feelings. 
  • The gift should be brand new and its original packaging.
  • The gift isn't one that the original giver took lots of time selecting for you.
  • And if in doubt, don't do it.

I don't regift my gifts but if I do receive a gift that I don't have a need for or don't like, I donate it.

So what are your thoughts on re-gifting?  Do you do it?

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

7 comments:

Leslie T said...

Never re-gift, just donate :)

RhodeyGirl said...

I register things like candles and lotions without a second thought. And with some baby repeats I've returned them and used the credits toward gifts. I feel no shame in doing either!

Happy new year!

TexWisGirl said...

i've regifted things - like your commenter above - candles or things i've gotten from office folk, i've regifted to family or friends who have no contact with the office folk, etc. but these days, i try to avoid it altogether!

Stevie said...

Absolutely regift! So much easier than returning and luckily we have circles of friends that never cross so no one knows any better. I keep a fabulous gift closet that is ready to go the instant facebook tells me I missed a friend's birthday :)
Stevie @ ruffledfeathersand spilledmilk.com

k. said...

In general I don't buy gifts for people or expect gifts from people. If I receive a gift I don't like or want, I will donate it---unless I know someone who will really love it--then I'll regift.

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

I am not a fan of regifting... it is actually due to the fact that when I was in 7th grade my mother regifted a bird feeding that my grandmother bought for her to my teacher as a Christmas gift (I went to a small school where giving a gift to your teacher was normal). I was really upset that she did that since I envisioned my grandmother spending time picking it out and thoughtfully giving it to my mother. ...it was a bizarre bird feeder, though.

Cabin Fever in Vermont

Anonymous said...

Re-gifting is perfectly OK. It’s always your intention that matters. The perfect example are the wedding rings that pass from mother to daughter. My wife got her Sapphire Ring from my mother. Gift whatever you’re giving with a good heart and it will be noble.