Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

October 25, 2011

WW: Clever Girls

Last week, while the kids were in school, I found myself with a little bit of spare time.  My laundry was caught up, the house was half-way picked up, it was a sunny and beautiful autumn day.  I called Dominic to find out his location on the farm and to ask him if there was anything interesting going on at the moment to snap a few photos of.

He had a job for me. 


I was to drive around the farm to all the locations where the manure spreading had taken place.  This is something that needs to be documented annually.  We need to show, through photos and a written report, how and where we spread the manure that's generated from dairy cows on the farm.

Okay, poop pics are not my favorite, but the drive was fantastic because I was able to see so many of the baby beef calves that had just been born within the last month.


















One thing I've learned about beef cows, they see an opportunity and they take it.  An open gate is an open invitation to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.
 
Between me moving them along with the truck and horn and Dominic on foot, we had them all back where they were supposed to be.  We had to be quick though because as soon as I drove through the gate, the mamas tried to sneak back through again. 

Quite clever and sneaky, those beef cows are.














Here's just a handful of pairs.  Always so curious....or maybe hoping hay is in the back of the truck.....they see a truck and they immediately think food is coming.














I just love this time of year.  The grass is just beginning to turn green, especially where the manure was spread and the temperature reached 85 degrees on this day.

















And my favorite part of the morning was watching all the baby calves kicking up their heels, running circles around their mamas.

















Linking up for Wordless Wednesday to:
Pinke Post
Project Alicia
Live and Love Out Loud


Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment. I love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day!

Pin It

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nothing better than baby calves at play! :)

Suz and Allan said...

You guys have such a beautiful farm! I always enjoy your pictures!

Anonymous said...

85* really! We woke up to a rainy 40* this morning. I think my car said 48* in the way home from work. Glad you are having nice fall weather.

Always fun to tote the camera along when checking things out around the farm. Especially when you are not in a hurry.

Robyn
http://theranchwifechronicles.com/

Katie said...

Well I need a getaway to drive around with you on a day like that Nancy! Miss my California friends.

Pat Tillett said...

I know there is a ton of work involved, but it sure seems like a great life... I'm happy for you!