Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

March 19, 2011

Turn a Kid Loose at a Holstein Auction, Guess What You Get

We spent our rainy, northern California Friday night at the annual Redwood Holstein Association fund raiser sale.  Fortunately there were space heaters scattered throughout the show ring, because it was cold.

I just found out that the Holstein Association allows kids {young ones} to show in their shows, in 4H a child needs to be 8 to show a large animal.  I was happy to see that both Paige and Bryce were interested in doing this.  Maybe it helps by watching their older friend, Alex, walking the calves out for the sale.

And their friend, Frankie.

At the sale, calves are not the only thing up for auction. 

Raise your hand for semen!  And Bryce did {he's 6, if you're new here}.  He bought 10 units of semen out of the Holstein bull, 'Detroit' from Alta Genetics.  The kid loves buying things.....anything apparently.

Bryce says, "What did I just buy?"

"Semen" I answer.

"Can I buy more?!"

"No, that's enough" I say.

Logan {sitting next to Bryce} asks, "What's semen?"

"It's what is going to make a cow pregnant." I answer and she seemed satisfied with that.....thankfully.

The things one learns at a Holstein sale!













Where's Waldo Bryce?  He loves trying to sneak into every photo I take.













Oh, and there was one random Jersey calf sold last night also.















Another highlight, and the thing the kids remembered from last year is the Sundae Bar where they can order up an ice cream sundae to their liking.













To finish off the evening, it's always fun to play in a bunch of shavings.













Time to shake them off and put them to bed.


















What did you do on your Friday night?

Related post: "What happens when you turn a 6 year old loose at an FFA Cake Auction?"


Pin It

16 comments:

goatmilker said...

Looks like a fun evening! I love going to animal auctions especially ones for a good cause. My kids show beef steers and dairy starter calves they love it. So does mom I love watching them show at the fair. Rebekah

TexWisGirl said...

Cute. My Friday night was not as near as exciting as yours. :)

Unknown said...

Love auctions, this one looks fun!

Inger said...

The kids must love that! And how cute they are (don't tell them, they'd probably get mad, being boys). On my Friday night, I watched an old movie with my husband after eating a great leftover dinner that he invented.--Inger

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

That looks like a fun Friday night. Not sure I would have a good use for $10 worth of cow semen, but I am thankful you do :) haha

Unknown said...

We helped my neice rescue one of the show cows that managed to wiggle into the front of her free stall in between the metal rails. Not sure how she managed to get there, but so grateful to help neice rescue her.

Glad to see your encouraging the kids in working with the calves and toward 4-H. Its a fabulous experience from one who has shown at county, district, state and national shows.

Southern Gal said...

That's so funny! I'd be sitting on my kids hands if they could just raise their hands and buy stuff! You handled the questions very well.
Our dream was to own a farm. It didn't happen so I especailly love reading blogs of those who do farm. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment.

Leontien said...

looking good! And its always good to start them off young! ;-) Semex, Northstar or ABS would love to have him i guess!

Thanks for sharing
Leontien

Suzie Salmon said...

My Friday night was a quiet one watching DVDs of the British series Cracker. And gee, I wonder where your boy gets his love of shopping ;) Good job on your answer to what he bought!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Suzie, Bryce definitely get his love of shopping from his dad ;) Have a great weekend!

Kathy said...

Love this! My dad was good about letting me buy my own 4-H calves at auction too. Funny that he didn't really understand what he was doing. Makes me wonder what my own Dad was thinking...

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@kathy, he was just happy to be buying something...he loves auctions! Great that your dad let you do the same sort of thing:)

bon bon said...

takes me back to my own experience in 4H. although, my grandparents had a farm, i never raise a cow myself, so i limited my fair entries to cookies, flower arranging, and photography. makes me wonder if the area i live in now even has 4H. hmmm...

Sarah said...

I love auctions. We stayed home friday night and watched basketball. Exciting, I know...we like living life on the edge!;o)

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hopefully IF he mentions what he bot at the fair to kids at school - they'll be OTHER farm kids. LOL!! I love that your daughter was easily satisfied with your answer.
Now WHY didn't you get that jersey? What a beauty! Great milk too - I've heard. Lots of fat - as IF I need more of that ... LOL!
Friday - humm went to Red Lobster ... don't ask me about Saturday ... but she's (my Mom) feeling SO much betta now. :)
Loved the pix.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I was laughing so hard. Oh my goodness, how fun your life is.