Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

March 28, 2011

Meatloaf Monday

One of the things I love about meatloaf night is, depending on what's in our fridge at the time, a different recipe can be created almost every time.

On this night, I had a bag of julienned broccoli and carrots in the fridge.  I have one child, Bryce who will eat all sorts of raw veggies, broccoli included and another child, Paige who will only eat carrots, period.  So sticking some broccoli into a meatloaf is a great way for me to get her to eat other veggies.....the girl likes her meat to eat so this concept is perfect.

Here's what you need: onion, shredded broccoli and carrot, green olives, salt, pepper, ketchup, two eggs, bread crumbs, paprika, milk and I used two pounds of ground beef.  {recipe below}















Throw it all together in to a bowl.













Pour in the milk.













And here's my favorite part, mix it all together by hand.
Form into a loaf shape {2 lbs of ground beef will make two loaves} and place on a baking sheet.


















Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 75 minutes and here's what you get.......

No one complained or even noticed that broccoli was included.

What's your favorite meatloaf ingredient?

Shredded Broccoli and Carrot Meatloaf

2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs
2 T ketchup
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup or more of julienned broccoli and carrot
Handful of green olives, chopped
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
salt, pepper and paprika to taste
1 cup of milk

Mix all together, shape into loaves and place on a baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 75 minutes.

Pin It

15 comments:

Katie said...

Veggies in meatloaf? I love it. I will totally try this recipe very soon Nancy! My fav ingredient to meat loaf is Pioneer Woman's BACON wrapped meatloaf. Everything is better with bacon but I probably should stick with broccoli! You can link up today for Hunk of Meat Monday if you would like. #hunkofmeatmonday
Katie

TexWisGirl said...

I'm totally okay with veggies in meatloaf, but that olive would have stopped me in my tracks (I would have plucked it out like an offensive eye...) :)

colleen said...

Since we are talking meatloaf I will tell you my favorite ingredient is crumbled blue cheese! My husband refused to eat meatloaf until I discovered this recipe. Now he asks for it. Of course a little brown gravy and mashed potatoes help too. Maybe I will post it next week.

ellie k said...

when we have hamburgers for a meal I grate a carrot, a potatoe, an onion and what ever veggie I might think looks like it needs used that night. I use the cheese grater so it is very fine but the burgers are so moist. My family asks for the burgers with veggies, I also add an egg so it is like mini meatloafs only on a bun.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Katie, got to sneak them in sometimes! Bacon wrapped sounds Amazing! Love everything bacon:) I did link up with BeyerBeware for Hunk a Meat Monday per your suggestion...thanks!

@texwisgirl, not a olive girl?! Oh my gosh, I just love them...but that's what I love about meatloaf, you can add Anything:)

@Colleen, Bluecheese?! gotta try that one!

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@ellie, I love the idea of meatloaf on a bun! Growing up we used to eat cold leftover meatloaf sandwiches with ketchup but I like the 'hamburger' idea better:) Thanks!

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

I have to side with TexWisGirl on this one...the olive would have done me in too. Otherwise, yummy!

Michelle said...

I think that olive looks awesome...I would have plucked it out and ATE IT!! I have put carrots in before, but not the broccoli. Will have to try that!

Leah Beyer said...

Olives in meatloaf? I think I am in love. Thanks to linking up to Hunk of Meat Monday.

Brittany said...

looks good, love meatloaf and we have a lot of ground beef in the freezer

AnglinBeef- Spotted Cow Review said...

Creative idea hiding that broccoli in the meatloaf! Thanks for sharing!

Sara said...

Mmmm, looks great! I love Alton Brown's Good Eats meatloaf with shredded carrots. I could get used to Meatloaf Mondays!! Great post!

nanny said...

Your meatloaf looks delicious....olives included. Yum.
Yes anyway you can sneak in some veggies is a good recipe!

nanny said...

P.S.
I love meat loaf sandwiches!!!

Janice Grinyer said...

Im still giggling at that renegade olive in that meatloaf, waving its little pimento at us in almost every shot lol