Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

December 30, 2010

Out With The Old, In With The New. ...at the Dairy Farm

After our doggie hike yesterday, we drove onto the ranch to find a load of rice hulls had been delivered!

Try and contain your excitement now, I know it's difficult.

Rice hulls.

Kids love um.

Cows love um

It's not food for the dairy cows, but bedding for some of them in one of the barns.  Out with the old, in with the new.  The old stuff is recycled by being spread onto the pastures to fertilize.  This happens about every four weeks or so and everyone is excited when it's here.














I have to admit, it is fun to let the rice hulls run through your fingers, almost like sand.  I can see why you'd want to just jump right in....cows and kids {and maybe me too, at times}.













I'm not sure what the kids love more, help driving the tractor, or playing in the rice hulls?













What is it with kids and them not feeling the cold?  It looks sunny and warm here but in actuality, it's sunny and 50 degrees.  I'll never understand the aversion kids have to jackets.














Bryce knows just what to do with the bucket controls.  I'm sure he's giving Paige a play by play with every maneuver, he's good like that..........













My father-in-law, George, drives the other tractor.....













It doesn't take very long to spread the rice hulls in the barn and the cows dig it!  They come right over and begin to dig and play....so darn cute.

Pin It

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are your tractor driving days over?

The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Anonymous, LOL! Just few and far between. When things need to be done quickly, I'm not allowed to drive! I need to get some more practicing in....sans kids:)

Pat Tillett said...

When I was a kid I would have driven my grandads tractor in my birthday suit in a blizzard, I loved doing it so much.

rice hulls....very interesting!

The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@Pat, you're a tractor driver! Is there anything you haven't tried! It is fun to work that bucket isn't it?!

The Wife said...

Oh yea, I could see playing in that! I remember sitting in my dad's lap steering the tractor.....right into the ditch! Yep, he didn't let me drive much after that! ;)

Got my package today. Already ate an entire chocolate bar! But it's dark chocolate so it's healthy, right?! Thanks so much!

The Wife of a Dairyman said...

@The Wife, so glad you received your package today!.....and YES, dark chocolate IS healthy! lol :)