Blog Statement

Life is too short to eat bad food! Sharing great recipes, farm life, stories and photography from our Northern California dairy farm.

TDM CCN Header

August 12, 2010

Dessert Before Dinner

















I made the mistake of reading the Pioneer Woman's post on Raspberry Crisps this morning before breakfast.  I was actually trying to convince myself that a raspberry crisp is somehow appropriate for breakfast.  It does contain fruit and oats after all!  Okay, so I didn't bake a crisp for breakfast.  Instead I went to the pantry and pulled this out.






But it wasn't quite the same. I thought this cherry pie Larabar would be an adequate substitute for the raspberry crisp on my mind but it was a bit too tart for me and we all know what a sweet tooth I have. I love Larabars but this one wasn't doin' it for me. Oh well!  I only ate half.



Finished my coffee.  And at around 10:30, was hungry for a snack so I polished off the rest of the Greek Inspired Orzo Salad I made yesterday.  So good:)
















Paige had a birthday party to attend today for one of her little friends from preschool who turned four.  And you know, all I could think about during the party was that darn Raspberry Crisp recipe.  I knew what I would be doing this afternoon.

I thought I had enough peaches at home to make a peach cobbler but I didn't.  Luckily I had a bag of frozen blackberries in the freezer that would do just fine.  I got busy making a Blackberry Cobbler right away.
Here's what you need {plus granulated sugar, not pictured here}.


Mix all the dry ingredients.  {full recipe below}





Add butter to the dry mix.



Mix it in with two knives or a pastry blender until it's coarse & crumbly.







Mix the granulated sugar with the blackberries in a bowl.










I thought it would be fun to make individual cobblers for everyone so I used ramekins.  Place the berry mixture in the bottom 3/4's of the ramekins.

Cover with the dry mixture.






Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.



Top with whip cream or vanilla ice cream.



OH MY!



Bryce liked it too.

So in the midst of my cobbler making frenzy, I forgot to pop dinner in the oven.  And all I had to do was literally put it in the oven for 45 minutes.  We have two ovens so this should have been done before starting on dessert, one would think.

I had Trader Joe's Zesty Southwestern Style Chicken Breast in the fridge for an easy dinner.  Which is really good by the way.  So dessert was done before dinner.  I did sneak one bite and saved the rest for after dinner. {well, I couldn't very well let my kids see me eating dessert before dinner now could I?....a big no no in our house}

I hope you try the cobbler.  You can substitute with any fruit.  And I hope you don't forget about dinner in the process.  Here's the recipe:

Blackberry Cobbler

1/2 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup regular oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup chilled butter
3 cups frozen blackberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
whip cream or vanilla ice cream for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine Bisquick, oats, brown sugar & cinnamon.  Cut in the butter using a pastry blender {or two knives} until crumbly.  Set aside.  Combine fruit and granulated sugar in a bowl.  Place the fruit into individual ramekins {or you can double the recipe and bake in a 8x8 Pyrex}.  Crumble oat mixture on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.  Top with whip cream or ice cream and serve warm.

Happy Thursday!
Pin It

2 comments:

ann said...

I am a new visitor to your blog. Love the story about the bull I have never had a problem.
I will have to try your cobbler sounds great and looks good to

Mommas Soapbox said...

Reminds me of the mini cherry pies I made. Everyone loved getting their own little dish. I will try this one! I'm sure it will be a hit. Thanks so much for sharing! BTW... LOVE your blog.